Yesterday we actually had a successful and enjoyable game in The City of Bones, with just three players. I’ll forgo a full report, and just highlight some of the events and fun that was had.
Character-wise we had Grey Fox (later renamed to Black Raven), a Level 1 Assassin; Jaqui Shit, a Level 1 Fighter, and a Level 1 Mage by the exotic name of Ish-Limina ack Choling ack Som, a somewhat timid spell-caster who follows a deity associated with colours.
It started off with them in a crowded street, rescuing a man who fell under a wagon as a cage holding a hippogriff broke free; Jaqui took the first kill of the game, by first driving the wagon and horses into the monster, and while it was being distracted by Ishi, she slew it with a spear to the head. Grey Fox proved your typical adventure, by robbing the man as he pulled him to safety. Said man bought a meal for saving his life, and offered them a job to retrieve a book from a crypt in a forgotten part of the catacombs.
So off they went. Highlights of the catacomb exploration:
- Initially fleeing from giant centipedes then standing to fight and slaughter them;
- Running away from a swarm of giant rats and barely escaping;
- Crossing a trap of fire-spewing holes, getting burned until devising a plan (involving a shield, some rope, and pulling power) to cross it safely;
- Bending some bars to enter an area that I hadn’t mapped out, but was prepared to wing it with my random catacomb generator, until the rats appeared;
- A sliding ‘charge’ and throwing a spear, as Jaqui slew a fleeing fire beetle;
- Checking for traps and secret doors, bypassing traps, all without rolling any dice.
Overall, a good game, and much better than the last one where everyone died.