Different post today, and something I don’t often talk about on this blog, despite it being one of the main motivations for living my life.
I have been writing since I was a child, although I would only consider myself to have been writing seriously for the past 16 years. In that time I have written over a million words of fiction, encompassing nine (9) novels & novellas, forty-five (45) short stories, and an illustrated children’s book as a Christmas present for my niece. I have had several short stories published in small magazines, and have self-published two short-story collections that are available from on-line stores (notably on and through Lulu.com).
It is my ambition to one day become a published author. I would love nothing more to be able to walk into a book store such as Waterstone’s and see my book displayed on their shelves. It would make all the hard work seem worthwhile.
I have been sending different stories off to a variety of agents and publishers, with no luck whatsoever. I know part of the reason is my inability to sell myself, and my poor synopsis skills (which are, thankfully, getting better), and partly because the market is so bad at the moment; I also know that some of the stories listed below are, to be honest, rubbish; but my recent novels are good, and are worthy of being published. Maybe I’ll have better luck with the one I’m editing (again) at the moment (Vox). We shall see.
Anyway, just thought I’d share; because today it is a dull, quiet day and I am bored.
List of Work
Completed Novels (short and long)
- 7th Seal (fantasy);
- …and the sky full of dust (post-apocalyptic fantasy);
- Freaks (fantasy);
- The Clockwork Angel (contemporary fantasy/magical realism);
- Transition (contemporary science-fiction horror);
- Decadence (noir thriller, 1930s style);
- Imagine (fantasy, children’s/young adult);
- Vox (contemporary fantasy/magical realism);
- Taker of Names (fantasy).
- Forty-Five (45) short stories (various genres);
- The Pixies Did It (children’s story, illustrated);
- Ten Little Stories (audio story, part of an exhibition in the Milan Furniture Fair, April 2007).
- Clouds (short-story in Secret Attic October 2006 edition);
- Blood (short-story in Secret Attic November 2006 edition);
- Tea & Biscuits (short-story in Secret Attic January 2007 edition).
- Ten Little Stories (short-story collection; ISBN 978-1-84753-445-3);
- Variations on a Theme (short-story collection; ISBN 978-1-84753-615-0);
- Stories from the Land of Men (combines the two collections above; ISBN 978-1-4478-8435-4).
These are available from my Lulu Store.
Here is a list of all the short stories that appear in the above publications:
- Zombie Zoo
- Wrinkle Free
- Waiting for the Train
- Troubled Youth
- Time Stops
- The Web
- The Sweetest Kiss
- The Space Between
- The Last Child
- The Journey
- The Hole in the Wall
- The Day I Found the Grail
- The Dance
- The Chair
- The Burning
- Tea and Biscuits
- Sins of the Father
- Shooting Bunnies
- Sentimental Value
- Painting Life
- Old Hands
- Mark of the Beast
- Love Me, Love Me Not
- “I hear voices.”
- Heart & Glass
- Dreaming of Nick Savage
- Death in the Snow
- Children of the Cave
- Beautiful Stranger
- Amongst The Rocks
- A Girl Called Amy
- A Day in the Life of a Gatherer
There are a couple of others, but as yet they are just handwritten in a notebook and I have never gotten around to typing them up.