After several weeks of non-gaming, we recommence the City of Bones campaign this Sunday. When we stopped, the small party of three were still in the catacombs, looking for a stone book.
In the meantime, I’ve been thinking of possible adventures, locations, and encounters that I can throw at them, and have started thinking along the lines of making it more about the factions and rival parties in the city, as opposed to delves and monster slaying (although they will still feature whenever the PCs venture into the catacombs or the chasm). Recent posts by other RPG-bloggers have helped shift my thoughts in that directions (posts such as Beedo’s Black City game; Monsters and Manuals post; a response to that post; and another response; and no doubt others that I’ve missed), and so I need to start thinking up stuff for the game on Sunday.
- holy men looking to enlist PCs to ‘do in’ holy men of other religions;
- various factions looking to steal relics (especially the bones of the gods), and wanting to hire someone to do the dirty work;
- small, almost forgotten, religions looking to expand, and wanting devotees to swell their ranks;
- thieves, cut-throats, and muggers;
- rival adventuring parties;
- corrupt officials, especially the city watch;
- and so on.
I have introduced them to a ‘middle-man’ who I will use to offer them jobs, allowing me to seed adventures as necessary, depending on how much they want to get their hands dirty.
Anything else I can throw at them? Suggestions welcome.